Mission Chinese Food, is not your typical Chinese restaurant. This place is like a modern hole in the wall; with their dimly lit atmosphere, loud random 90′s music that skips a beat literally, and poor ventilation. Our friends, my wife, and I were able to sit around 8:00pm after waiting around 45 minutes. Luckily our friends were able to put our names on the wait list (no reservations) while we tried to find parking (20+ mins).
- #9 Tea-Smoked Eel – Fresh Rice Noodle, Chinese Celery, Salted Plum Hoisin, Braised Pork, Cognac Soy [$9]
- #12 Red Braised Pork Belly – Tender Belly, Broccoli, Sesame, Chickpeas [$10]
- #18 Thrice Cooked Bacon – Shanghainese Rice Cakes, Bitter Melon, Tofu Skin, Chili Oil [$12]
- #19 Salt Cod Fried Rice – Mackerel Confit, Chinese Sausage, Lettuce, Egg [$11]
- #22 Stir-Fried Sweet Peas – Pea Tendrils, Numbing Chili, Red Onion Pickles [$10]
- Steamed Rice [$1]
Our favorite dishes were the Thrice Cooked Bacon, Salt Cod Fried Rice, and Stir-Fried Sweet Peas (surprisingly). The thrice cooked bacon had a nice spice (medium-hot) to the dish, not too oily and all the ingredients went well together. Let’s be honest, everything goes great with bacon! The salt cod fried rice with Chinese sausage was delicious! Who doesn’t love Chinese sausage with their fried rice?!?! Last but not least of our favorite dishes was the stir-fried sweet peas. For a veggie dish this one had very nice flavoring to it which kept us coming back for more.
On the other side of things the Red Braised Pork belly was a miss; it was extremely fatty. The Tea-Smoked Eel looked delicious, was good, but not great compared to the our favorites above. Last but not least, the steamed rice was more on the dryer side and did not taste fresh.
- Einstok Iceland White Ale [$6]
- Almanac Honey Saison [$6]
Be sure to sit back, enjoy the moment and order some drinks to go with your meal. The Einstock Iceland White Ale and Almanac Honey Saison were both good. My wife liked the Einstok Iceland White Ale more while I liked the Almanac Honey Saison.
- Get there early!
Have you tried Mission Chinese Food before? Let us know how you liked it in the comments below!
If you have a favorite Chinese restaurant, we want to hear about it. Click here to send us a message!
2234 Mission St
(at Between 18th and 19th Streets )
San Francisco, CA 94110